BSc in Economics and Finance
The BSc in Economics and Finance is a four-year 480-credit programme designed to equip students with the knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to succeed in the important world of economics and finance, be it the private, non-for-profit or public sectors, nationally and internationally. The effective development of the Kurdistan economy and its financial system and institutions, requires a workforce with the KSAs to understand and drive future economic development and advancement in the financial sector. The programme is geared towards developing critical analysis in students’ by focusing on how to think, not what to think. Key areas of economics and finance are studied, such as macro and micro economics, financial management, econometrics, accounting, money and banking, public finance, trade policy, industrial development including labour/environmental/development economics.
- High School Diploma: High school certificate, attained within the last five years and with a general high school score of 65% and above.
- School Entrance Test
- Scheduled Interview
- Equalized transcript is required for students who have graduated from international institutions.
- Conditional Offer may be given to applicants who submit the required minimum score from Versant English Placement Test - Pearson.
- Applicants dismissed for any reason from any university, school or college will not be considered.
- English Language Proficiency: Minimum English Language requirement is 45 in PTE, 5.5 in IELTS or 64 in ibt-TOEFL.
- Application Form: Online application is required
- Official transcripts: Provide a copy of your official transcript (for applicants who graduated from international institutions, an equalized transcript is required).
- Certification Letter from High School: Provide an official letter from your High School Confirming your High School Average.
- A copy of your Passport/ID
- One passport size photo
The BSc in Economics and Finance is a four-year programme. Each year is divided into two semesters, with normally four modules taught each semester. Typically, the first two years of the programme are devoted to concepts and theories, mixed with the development of practical and applied skills, utilising social formats such as discussions, debates, negotiations and presentations. The last 2 years are spent exposing the student to critical thinking, real-world practical experience and developing the required KSAs to success in the workforce. In the final year, students are required to write a 12,000 word research dissertation. Under the current school structure, the programme shares its first two years with the Bachelor of Business and Management.
Holders of this degree have the opportunity to work in both the private and public sectors within Kurdistan. From the economics side, government with its many ministries and departments, will be seeking skilled economist to develop, formulate and implement economic policy in important areas such as, economic growth, industry development, social advancement, environment, along with trade, labour and tax policies. From the finance side, public opportunities will arise to develop the financial system and institutions, while in the private sector, quality opportunities will be available in the banking sector, investment advisory, and the offering of financial services. For graduates with entrepreneurial aspirations, the degree offers the knowledge, skills and confidence to start or manage your own business.