MSc in Petroleum Engineering
The programme MSc in Petroleum Engineering is designed to introduce a new generation of petroleum engineers and equip them to handle their natural resources in the best possible way. This programme deals with day to day operation in petroleum industry such as drilling operations, well completions, well testing and logging, reservoir simulation studies and other production operations.
Graduates in the field of petroleum engineering can be hired in different domains of the petroleum industry and can achieve higher positions with a high degree of professionalism and experience.
MSc in Petroleum Engineering is introduced for those who are interested in further enhancing their knowledge in this field. This programme takes the professional one further in their field and strengthen their theoretical and practical capability.
After graduation, doors of public and private oil and gas companies including E&P (Exploration and Production) companies would open for the petroleum engineers at several levels.
- Undergraduate Degree: Minimum undergraduate average of 60%
- English Language Proficiency: Minimum English Language requirement is 50 in PTE – 6 in IELTS or 74 in TOEFL iBT.
- Scheduled Interview
- Equalized transcript is required for students who have graduated from international institutions.
- Application Form: Online application form is required.
- Official Transcripts: Provide a copy of your undergraduate transcript with your application.
- Letters of Recommendation: Two recommendation letters are required to be submitted with your application, preferably one of which will be from a university academic.
- Interview: Applicants who meet all of the academic entrance requirements will be invited to attend an interview at which they may be asked questions regarding their intended programme of study. The interview is a compulsory stage of the selection process.
- A copy of your CV.
- A copy of your passport/ID.
- One passport size photo.
The Master in Petroleum engineering is a two-year programme consisting of 180 credits; eight taught modules each worth 15 credits and 60 credits for the dissertation. Normally, students study 4 modules in the first two semesters, and continue working on the dissertation during the 3rd and 4th semesters. Semesters are 15 week blocks and there will be an equivalent of a 3 hour class for each 15 credit course per week. Students obtaining 180 credits will be eligible for Master of Science certificate in Petroleum Engineering.
The modules offered in this programmeme are as: Advanced Reservoir Engineering, Advanced Well Testing, Advanced Drilling Engineering, Advanced Production Engineering, Advanced Reservoir Simulation, Advanced Well Logging, Carbonate Reservoir Geology, and Renewable Energy and Sustainability.
After completion of this programme, graduates become able to mastering different techniques of drilling, production and completion along with well logging and testing methods to evaluate formation in terms of economic viability, different production methods to enhance production rate of hydrocarbons. Students also became familiar to reservoir modelling by using latest software of reservoir simulation.
This programme is focused on cutting edge research in petroleum industry. Students are required to actively participate in research activities such as choosing from a relevant topic, problem formulation, literature search, data collection methods, writing a research proposal to data analysis and writing and presenting their research findings in local and international conferences and journals.