BSc in Architectural Engineering and Sustainability
BSc in Architectural Engineering and Sustainability aims to graduate architects who are strongly related to local rich heritage, and are able to create attractive built environment that can sustainably communicate with the society and meets the international expectations of the 3rddecade of the 21stcentury.
The World Commission on Environment and Development has put forth a definition of sustainability “as meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs”, and the growing understanding of the negative impact that buildings have on the environment, made architects seek new approaches and techniques to make buildings more energy efficient
In this very old part of the world where the first traces of built environment were found,local inhabitants managed to find sustainable ways for survival for thousands of years. UKH program,BSc in Architectural Engineering and Sustainability endeavors toimprove the education and training of future architects to enable them to meet the expectations of 21st century for sustainable human settlements in every cultural heritage.
UKH vision for Architectural Engineering matches the one stated in UNESCOUIA charter for architectural education that states “We, the architects, concerned for the future qualitative development of the built environment in a fast-changing world, believe that architecture involves everything that influences the way in which the built environment is planned, designed, made, used, furnished, landscaped and maintained”.
Architectural Engineering is a challenging, but rewarding profession which requires well-educated, young men and women with multi-disciplinary approaches. Adding sustainability as an additional criterion, may give UKH graduate architects more chances to cope with local and international perspectives for future built environment.
- High School Diploma: Secondary school certificate, attained within the last five years and with a general high school score of 80% and above.
- Minimum Grade in Related Subjects Minimum high school education score of 70% in Mathematics and Physics. Accumulative subject grades for physics and math = 140
- English Language Proficiency Minimum English Language requirement is 52 in Versant (Conditional Offer); 45 in PTE, 5.5 in IELTS or 64 in ibt-TOEFL
- School Entrance Test
- Scheduled Interview
- Equalized transcript is required for students who have graduated from international institutions.
- Conditional Offer may be given to applicants who submit the required minimum score from Versant English Placement Test - Pearson.
- Applicants dismissed for any reason from any university, school or college will not be considered.
- Application Form: Online application is required.
- Official transcripts: Provide a copy of an official transcript(s) (for applicants who graduated from international institutions, an equalized transcript is required).
- Certification Letter from High School: Provide an official letter from your High School Confirming your High School Average.
- A copy of Passport/ID
- One passport size photo
Architectural Engineering and Sustainability graduates are prepared to comply with the local professional bodies (like Kurdistan Engineering Union and Iraqi Engineering Union) requirements to get the rank of assistant engineer, and also be able to apply for the membership of international professional bodies like UIA (international architects’ union). They should also be able to apply for membership in other countries professional bodies. This will be achieved through introducing students during their five years of study to virtual design projects and also through compulsory summer training programs at local design firms or construction sites. Also some students may be able to develop their skills even more by joining elective students exchange programs and internship courses.