BSc in Architectural Engineering and Sustainability
BSc in Architectural Engineering and Sustainability aims to graduate architects who are strongly related to local rich heritage, and are able to create attractive built environment that can sustainably communicate with the society and meets the international expectations of the 3rd decade of the 21stcentury. The World Commission on Environment and Development has put forth a definition of sustainability “as meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs”, and the growing understanding of the negative impact that buildings have on the environment, made architects seek new approaches and techniques to make buildings more energy efficient In this very old part of the world where the first traces of built environment were found, local inhabitants managed to find sustainable ways for survival for thousands of years. UKH program, BSc in Architectural Engineering and Sustainability endeavors to improve the education and training of future architects to enable them to meet the expectations of 21st century for sustainable human settlements in every cultural heritage. UKH vision for Architectural Engineering matches the one stated in UNESCOUIA charter for architectural education that states “We, the architects, concerned for the future qualitative development of the built environment in a fast-changing world, believe that architecture involves everything that influences the way in which the built environment is planned, designed, made, used, furnished, landscaped and maintained”. Architectural Engineering is a challenging, but rewarding profession which requires well-educated, young men and women with multi-disciplinary approaches. Adding sustainability as an additional criterion, may give UKH graduate architects more chances to cope with local and international perspectives for future built environment.
- High School Diploma: Secondary school certificate, attained within the last five years and with a general high school score of 80% and above.
- Minimum Grade in Related Subjects Minimum high school education score of 70% in Mathematics and Physics. Accumulative subject grades for physics and math = 140
- English Language Proficiency Minimum English Language requirement is 45 in PTE, 5.5 in IELTS -64 in ibt-TOEFL or 95 in Duolingo.
- Equalized transcript is required for students who have graduated from international institutions.
- Conditional Offer may be given to applicants who submit the required minimum score from Versant English Placement Test - Pearson.
- Applicants dismissed for any reason from any university, school or college will not be considered.
- Application Form: Online application is required.
- Official transcripts: Provide a copy of an official transcript(s) (for applicants who graduated from international institutions, an equalized transcript is required).
- Certification Letter from High School: Provide an official letter from your High School Confirming your High School Average.
- A copy of Passport/ID
- One passport size photo
The programme is designed to go with UNESCO\ UIA charter for architectural education that consists of 5 years curriculum actualising Vitruvius triangle of commodity, firmness and delight.
The theoretical part of the programme will cover principles of history and theory of art and architecture, principles of Geometry and engineering, and social, economic, and political principles for planning sustainable built environment, while in Design studios students will be trained how to apply theoretical background to create attractive forms and spaces that can fulfill functional requirements in a sustainable manner.
The training will start with simple abstract forms in year one and end with a graduation full project at year five passing with various building types projects like, simple sheds. Dwelling units, schools, creation centers, hotels, hospitals and planning for housing projects and urban district designs.
The modules are designed to gradually pass from abstract principles to concrete cases and project designs, the five-year program with 59 modules and 780 credits sequencing, mainly depend on prerequisites of architectural design studio at first hand, on second hand the hierarchy of history, planning and building construction.
The programme, in addition to architecture courses, consists of six university core courses of Math, Computer Skills, and English (14 out of 156 credit hours), and six common courses of structure and strength of materials, concrete design, steel design and surveying (11 out of 156), these are shared with civil engineering programme.
The average weekly hours of theory and studio (lab) teaching for each semester is 22 hours, the credit hours for five years are 156 credit hours that equals 780 UKH credits.
The programme targets developing students architectural sustainable creative design skills supported with oral and written capabilities with a background regarding standards, regulations, ethics and moral of the profession of Architecture and Engineering locally and internationally.