BA in English
The Bachelor of Arts Programme in English officially commenced in the Fall 2018. The notion of opening an English Language Department at the University of Kurdistan Hewlêr (UKH) arose from the recognition that, whereas hundreds of students complete bachelor degrees in English Language Departments, graduates typically do not exhibit the skills that degree holders in English should have acquired. In addition to the critical demand for these skills in Kurdistan’s labour market, graduates with a BA in English deserve to attain mastery in areas that a universal degree in English entails. This particularly includes the need for offering the core competencies that define what a BA in English is. In this regard, a Programme that responds to both the demands of the local market and the requirements laid by reputable international bodies is rendered necessary. To meet the latter and among a range of international models, the standards set by the British Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education – BA in English were taken as the basis for both developing the Programme modules as well as the final outcome indicators.
Tailored as a comprehensive yet meticulous degree, the Programme expects to attract students who want to be marketable across a broad range of employability areas in Kurdistan’s workforce, with an eye on gaining an exceptionally high level of English proficiency. Students will be challenged through a multidisciplinary four-year degree Programme to acquire skills that give them a significant advantage in competing in today’s job market.
Observing the general academic standards set by the British Quality Assurance Agency for a BA in English, the degree covers a wide range of interdisciplinary areas within English, including English literature and linguistics, teaching English as a foreign language, and translation. Therefore, the Programme enables students to gain knowledge and skills in these domains. Moreover, the Programme provides sufficient opportunities for practical academic and professional tutoring whereby students choose one or more offered sub-areas and engage in on-the-job training through practicums and internships.
- High School Diploma: High school certificate, attained within the last five years and with a general high school score of 60% and above.
- English Language Proficiency Minimum English language requirement is 47 in Versant (Conditional Offer); 40 in PTE, 5.0 in IELTS or 55 in iBT-TOEFL.
- School Entrance Test
- Interview to discuss background, motivation, and career plans.
- Applicants dismissed for any reason from any university, school or college will not be considered.
- Application Form: Online application is required
- Official transcripts: Provide a copy of your official transcript (for applicants who graduated from international institutions, an equalized transcript is required).
- Certification Letter from High School: Provide an official letter from your High School Confirming your High School Average.
- A copy of your Passport/ID
- One passport size photo