Basic Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Guided Injections Workshop
Course Objectives: This course aims to:
- Provide an understanding of the use of Ultrasound in the assessment of joints and soft tissue.
- Enhance clinicians’ understanding and awareness of diagnostic musculoskeletal ultrasound and how it will change their practice.
- Discuss practical considerations and briefly introduce interventional US-guided injections.
- Identify tips and pitfalls.
Course Outcomes: At the end of the course, participants should be able to:
- Describe the fundamental principles and concepts of ultrasound.
- Understand the normal appearance of common musculoskeletal tissues in ultrasound.
- Demonstrate an effective examination of the main peripheral joints using ultrasound.
- Perform basic injection techniques of peripheral joints and soft tissues safely in the upper and lower limbs.
Training Strategies: The following training strategies will be adopted for this course:
- The course will be divided into theoretical and hands-on training per region.
- Interactive activities are an integral part of the training program, which include question-answer-based discussions and clinical problems for the group to solve.
- Ultrasound machines are used for the hands-on part of the program.
- Joint phantoms will be used for US-guided needling skills.
|2 Days – 4 hours per day
1. Dr. Avin M. Arif Maroof, Senior Specialist of Rheumatology and Medical Rehabilitation, works as a full-time faculty at the School of Medicine at the Internal Medicine department of UKH. She holds an MBChB, HDRMR, and a FACR. She is the Deputy President of the Kurdistan Rheumatology Society and was head of the Rheumatology department at Rizgary Teaching Hospital where she supervised and trained many resident doctors and postgraduate students. She lectured Rheumatology and Physical Therapy at many universities in Erbil, including HMU and Cihan University. She is a member of the European League of Associations of Rheumatology (EULAR), and she is EULAR trained in musculoskeletal injections and ultrasonography. She was a speaker at many national and international scientific events and published many papers in the field of rheumatology.
2. Professor Deiary Kader is a knee arthroplasty and arthroscopy (Sports) surgeon, researcher, academic, educationalist, and humanitarian. He is the chairman and founder of NGMV medical charity & Life Academy, a war trauma reconstruction surgeon for the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Lebanon, and a Swisscross foundation adviser and surgeon in Erbil/Iraq. Recently published Life Academy (Personal Insights) book. In August 2015 he was appointed as a consultant orthopedic surgeon specializing in complex knee surgery at South-West London Elective Orthopaedic Centre (SWLEOC), and deputy medical director from 2019-2021. In the past 15 years, he has developed a passion for research and postgraduate training. So far, he has published more than 150 scientific papers, book chapters, and articles. Currently, he is the director of research at the center. Also, he is the president of BOSTAA (British Orthopaedical Sports Trauma and Arthroscopic Association), a member of the FRCS Tr&Orth Examiner’s board (JCIE-RCS) since 2017, a member of the Royal College of Surgeons (RCSEng) quality assessment panel and appointments advisory committee (AAC).
Certification: Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be awarded a training certificate from the School of Medicine of UKH co-branded with the Academic Surgical Unit of South-West London Elective Orthopaedic Centre, South-West London Elective Orthopaedic Centre, The Association of Rheumatology and Medical Rehabilitation in KRG, as well as the Professional and Executive Education Centre, UKH.