Basic Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Guided Injections Workshop
This highly practical course is designed for physicians with no or limited experience in Diagnostic MSK Ultrasound and aims to enhance practitioners’ understanding of the theoretical principles and applications of Diagnostic MSK Ultrasound and awareness of the normal and pathological findings identified through the use of ultrasound.
This course aims to:
- Provide an understanding of the use of Ultrasound in the assessment of joints and soft tissue.
- Enhance clinicians’ understanding and awareness of diagnostic musculoskeletal ultrasound and how it will change their practice.
- Discuss practical considerations and briefly introduce interventional US-guided injections.
- Identify tips and pitfalls.
At the end of the course, participants should be able to:
- Describe the fundamental principles and concepts of ultrasound.
- Understand the normal appearance of common musculoskeletal tissues in ultrasound.
- Demonstrate an effective examination of the main peripheral joints using ultrasound.
- Perform basic injection techniques of peripheral joints and soft tissues in a safe manner in the upper and lower limbs.
This course is suited for:
- Resident doctors of relevant medical branches
- General practitioners
- Postgraduate students of relevant medical branches
The following training strategies will be adopted for this course:
- The course will be divided into theoretical and hand-on training per each region.
- Interactive activities are an integral part of the training program, which include question-answer based discussions and clinical problems for the group to solve.
- Ultrasound machines are used for the hand-on part of the program.
- Joint phantoms will be used for US-guided needling skills.
Day 1 (4 hours):
- Machine set up (9:00 a.m. – 9:15 a.m.)
- Grey-scale pitfalls (9:15 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.)
- Color-doppler physics and pitfalls (9:30 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.)
- Coffee Break (9:45 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.)
- Normal anatomy and sonoanatomy (shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand) (10:00 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.)
- Discussion (10:15 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.)
- Normal Sonoanatomy “Hand-on Session” – Shoulder, Elbow and Hand
- Shoulder (10:30 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.)
- Elbow (11:15 a.m. – noon)
- Hand and wrist (noon – 12:45 p.m.)
- Discussions and wrap up feedback of day 1 (12:45 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.)
Day 2 (4 hours):
- Normal Anatomy and Sonoanatomy (hip, knee, ankle and foot) (9:00 a.m. – 9:15 a.m.)
- Discussion (9:15 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.)
- Hand on Sessions:
- Hip joint (9:30 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.)
- Coffee break (10:15 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.)
- Knee joint (10:30 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.)
- Ankle and foot (11:15 a.m. – noon)
- Needle visualization & optimization techniques – out-of-plane, interior to posterior techniques (noon – 12:15 p.m.)
- Hand-on practice of intraarticular injection under ultrasound guide (12:15 p.m. – 12:45 p.m.)
- Wrap up and feedback of Day 2 (12:45 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.)
Starts February 10, 2023
Ends February 11, 2023.
Hours per Day: 4
Number of Days: 2
Total Hours: 8
Morning 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
*This course can be delivered upon request at afternoon time.
School of Medicine (SOM), University of Kurdistan Hewlêr.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be awarded a training certificate from the School of Medicine of UKH co-branded with the Council of Ministers of the Ministry of Health (MoH), as well as the Professional and Executive Education Centre, UKH.
Dr. Avin M. Arif Maroof, Senior Specialist of Rheumatology and Medical Rehabilitation, works as a full-time faculty at the School of Medicine at Internal Medicine department of UKH. She holds a MBChB, HDRMR, and a FACR. She is the Deputy President of the Kurdistan Rheumatology Society and was head of the Rheumatology department at Rizgary Teaching Hospital where she supervised and trained many resident doctors and postgraduate students. She lectured Rheumatology and Physical Therapy in many universities in Erbil, including HMU and Cihan University. She is a member of the European League of Associations of Rheumatology (EULAR), and she is EULAR trained in musculoskeletal injections and ultrasonography. She was a speaker at many national and international scientific events and published many papers in the field of rheumatology.