MA in Applied Linguistics / TESOL
The MA in Applied Linguistics and TESOL is designed to develop an advanced level of the relevant skills for their appropriate use in a range of educational, media, government and cultural sector settings. The programme aims to provide students with analytical and critical skills necessary for postgraduate study and/or educational, media, government and cultural sector work in a variety of occupational roles, including but not limited to secondary school/university teaching, journalism, publishing, translation, government and administration, non-governmental organisations, education consultancy and advisory capacities. The focus of the programme is on stimulating the further intellectual and philological development of students through comprehensive curriculum in Applied Linguistics with TESOL focus. It is expected that graduates will contribute to an improvement in the quality of educational service in Iraqi Kurdistan.
- Undergraduate Degree: BA in English or related fields with an overall average of 60% or above.
- English Language Proficiency: Minimum English Language requirement is 58 in PTE – 6.5 in IELTS or 86 in TOEFL iBT.
- School Entrance Test
- Scheduled Interview
- Equalized transcript is required for students who have graduated from international institutions.
- Note! Applicants dismissed for any reason from any university, school or college will not be considered.
- Graduate Application Form: Online application form is required.
- Official Transcripts: Provide a copy of your undergraduate transcript with your application.
- Letters of Recommendation: Two recommendation letters are required to be submitted with your application, preferably one of which will be from a university academic.
- Interview: Applicants who meet all of the academic entrance requirements will be invited to attend an interview at which they may be asked questions regarding their intended programme of study. The interview is a compulsory stage of the selection process.
- A copy of your CV.
- A copy of your passport/ID.
- One passport size photo.
The Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics/TESOL is an 18- to 24-month (3 or 4 semesters) programme which presumes full-time study, 180 credits in one academic year. The second year or six months of the second year is devoted to work on MA dissertation on a topic of Applied Linguistics/TESOL, which should typically be between 30,000 and 40,000 words. Candidates who successfully pass all taught courses of 120 credits in total but do not submit a dissertation or receive a no-pass mark for a dissertation may be awarded a Postgraduate Diploma. Only students who successfully complete the coursework and the dissertation will be awarded a Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics/TESOL.
The main aims of MA in Applied Linguistics and TESOL are to:
Provide an advanced, wide-ranging study of English language as well as Applied Linguistics, and teaching methodology.
Promote understanding of the nature of human language and its importance in teaching languages, particularly English to speakers of other languages.
Facilitate the ability to apply theoretical perspectives to texts.
Develop advanced skills in bringing up arguments, synthetizing and critically expressing opinions.
Enhance advanced skills of research and presentation specific to English language; build scientific basis for further Doctorate research.
Develop and assess the ideas of reading, re-reading and interpretation.
Examine contemporary critical developments in Applied Linguistics focused on TESOL.
Conduct specific research of a certain theory, trend and their application in the field of Applied Linguistics and Teaching English Language in particular.