MA in Applied Linguistics / TESOL
The MA in Applied Linguistics/TESOL is a multidisciplinary programme which integrates a variety of topics around the area of language studies, including core concepts of language use, language contact, and language acquisition. Throughout studying in a practice-driven field, students will be exposed to advanced topics in both applied linguistics and English language teaching, and more broadly how the study of language can assist in addressing real-world problems of language use across social, educational, and political domains. The programme equips students with a research-oriented approach in learning about and investigating language-related issues in the areas of first and second language acquisition, language pedagogy and teaching methodologies, discourse analysis, multilingualism and multilingual education, language policy and planning, language and media, interculturality, language and identity, and English as a lingua franca. In addition to two semesters of coursework, in their second year of studies, students will engage in postgraduate-level research to produce a scholarly empirical thesis in a related field, under the supervision of the programme’s renowned academics in the field. Upon graduation, students will be able to pursue a variety of careers in language teaching, language planning and policy, research and higher education, and training and development, and across different public and private sector institutions.
- Undergraduate Degree: BA in English or related fields with an overall average of 60% or above.
- English Language Proficiency: Minimum English Language requirement is 58 in PTE – 6.5 in IELTS or 86 in TOEFL iBT.
- Equalised transcript is required for students who have graduated from international institutions.
- Note! Applicants dismissed for any reason from any university, school or college will not be considered.
- Graduate Application Form: Online application form is required.
- Official Transcripts: Provide a copy of your undergraduate transcript with your application.
- Letters of Recommendation: Two recommendation letters are required to be submitted with your application, preferably one of which will be from a university academic.
- School entrance test.
- A copy of your passport and national ID.
- One passport size photo.
The Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics/TESOL is an 18- to 24-month (3 or 4 semesters) programme which presumes full-time study, 180 credits in one academic year. The second year or six months of the second year is devoted to work on MA dissertation on a topic of Applied Linguistics/TESOL, which should typically be between 30,000 and 40,000 words. Candidates who successfully pass all taught courses of 120 credits in total but do not submit a dissertation or receive a no-pass mark for a dissertation may be awarded a Postgraduate Diploma. Only students who successfully complete the coursework and the dissertation will be awarded a Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics/TESOL.