BSc in Civil Engineering
Over the millenniums, Civil Engineers have been responsible for building everything from the Egyptian Great Pyramids, Roman aqueducts and India’s Taj Mahal. Many of these structures are still with us today. More recently, they have been responsible for building the Eiffel Tower, the Statute of Liberty, the Empire State Building, and some of the tallest buildings in the world such as the Petronas Towers in Malaysia and the Burj Khalifa in the UAE. More importantly, Civil Engineers are responsible for building homes for personal living and offices for daily work, wastewater treatment plants for cleaning wastewater and groundwater well systems for drinking water. They are also responsible for building tunnels which are used as underground conveyances for transportation such as the Channel Tunnel or Chunnel which connects England to France. Civil Engineering is a challenging, but rewarding profession which requires well-educated, young men and women with many talents. Students in the Civil Engineering programme at the University of Kurdistan Hewlêr (UKH) who graduate can expect to have rewarding careers building structures (e.g., buildings and homes) and infrastructure (e.g., roads, bridges, tunnels, etc.) throughout Kurdistan and the world.
- High School Diploma: Secondary school certificate, attained within the last five years and with a general high school score of 80% and above.
- Minimum Grade in Related Subjects: Minimum high school education score of 70% in Mathematics and Physics. Accumulative subject grades for physics and math = 140
- English Language Proficiency: Minimum English Language requirement is 45 in PTE, 5.5 in IELTS -64 in ibt-TOEFL or 95 in Duolingo.
- School Entrance Test
- Scheduled Interview
- Equalized transcript is required for students who have graduated from international institutions.
- Conditional Offer may be given to applicants who submit the required minimum score from Versant English Placement Test - Pearson.
- Applicants dismissed for any reason from any university, school or college will not be considered.
- Application Form: Online application is required
- Official transcripts: Provide a copy of your official transcript (for applicants who graduated from international institutions, an equalized transcript is required).
- Certification Letter from High School: Provide an official letter from your High School Confirming your High School Average.
- A copy of your Passport/ID
- One passport size photo
The program was established in 2015. In 2017, the Civil Engineering program was updated and re-designed to make it more practical for our students in Kurdistan. The program consists a four-year curriculum to be complete by all students. Students study a broad range of topics in civil engineering including structural, transportation, wastewater treatment and tunnel engineering.
The students are offered civil engineering core modules such as statics, dynamics, mechanics of materials, fluid mechanics, soil mechanics, rock mechanics, construction materials, hydraulics, surveying, stress analysis, and structural analysis in the first two years. In their last two years, they will take modules in highway engineering, transportation engineering, bridge design, environmental engineering, water distribution system design, wastewater treatment plant design, geotechnical engineering, foundation engineering, and tunnel engineering. The final year will be culminated with a senior design project required for all graduating students
They will be required to develop their oral and written communication skills. They will study professional ethics in the field of Civil Engineering. Several modules require the completion of laboratory assignments and field exercises.