Advanced Emergency Trauma Life Support AETLS
AETLS is a training program for medical providers in the immediate management of acute trauma cases. It is teaching a systematic process of trauma care for patients with life-threatening injuries in a timely and efficient manner. Throughout this three-day interactive course, you will learn a range of comprehensive and adaptable trauma management skills relevant to all specialties.
This course aims to:
- Assess the patient’s condition rapidly and accurately.
- Resuscitate and stabilize the patient according to priority.
- Determine if the patient’s needs exceed a facility’s capabilities.
- Ensure that optimum care is provided.
At the end of the course, the participants should be able to:
- Demonstrate the concepts and principles of the primary and secondary patient assessments.
- Confidently and securely deal with traumatic cases immediately by establishing priorities in a trauma situation.
- Demonstrate the skills related to ABCD which are often required during initial assessment and treatment of patients with multiple injuries.
- Be up-to-date with the latest changes and advances in patient care, which could help save a life.
This course is suited for:
- Postgraduate doctors
- Medical school students
The following training strategies will be adopted for this course:
- AETLS is a highly interactive course, taught using a variety of practical techniques including simulated patient scenarios, unfolding scenarios stations, group discussions and tutorials.
- Candidates will be continuously assessed based on their performance in clinical simulations and be expected to show competency in the core skills of the course.
- Theoretical knowledge and practical components will be formally tested.
Day 1 (6 hours):
Registration and introduction – (09:00 a.m. – 09:15 a.m.)
Course overview – (09:15 a.m. – 09:30 a.m.)
Initial assessment demonstration – (09:30 a.m. – 09:45 a.m.)
Initial assessment and management -(09:45 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.)
Break – (10:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.)
Airway and ventilator management – (11:00 a.m. – 11:25 a.m.)
Shock – (11:25 a.m. – 11:55 a.m.)
Thoracic trauma – (11:55 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.)
Refreshments – (12:30 p.m. -01:30 p.m.)
Abdominal and pelvic trauma – (01:15 p.m. – 01:45 p.m.)
Surgical skills practicum discussion – (01:45 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.)
- Airway and Ventilatory management (2:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.)
- Shock assessment and management (2:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.)
Day 2 (5 hours):
- Head trauma (9:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.)
- Spine trauma (9:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.)
- Musculoskeletal trauma (10:00 a.m. – 10:20 a.m.)
- Secondary survey demonstration (10:20 a.m. – 10:35 a.m.)
- Break (10:35 a.m – 11:00 a.m).
- Practical Skills sessions:
- X-ray identification of thoracic trauma (11:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.)
- Head and neck trauma assessment and management (11:30 a.m. – noon)
- X-ray identification of spine injuries (noon – 12:30 p.m.)
- Refreshments (12:30 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.)
- Spinal Cord injury assessment and management (1:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.)
- Musculoskeletal trauma assessment and management (1:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.)
Day 3 (5 hours):
- Thermal injuries (9:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.)
- Trauma in extremes of age, pediatric and geriatric trauma (9:30 a.m. – 10:10 a.m.)
- Trauma in pregnancy and intimate partner violence (10:10 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.)
- Break (10:30 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.)
- Disaster management and emergency preparedness (10:45 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.)
- Transfer to definitive care (11:15 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.)
- Post-Course test (11:45 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.)
- Refreshments (12:45 p.m. – 1:45 p.m.)
- Feedback on the AELTS course and certificates (1:45 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.)
Morning 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (first day)
Morning 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (second and third day)
Starts January xx, 2023
Hours per Day: (5-6)
School of Medicine (SOM), University of Kurdistan Hewlêr
*This AETLS course can be delivered upon request at afternoon and evening time.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be awarded a training certificate from the School of Medicine of UKH co-branded with the Council of Ministers of the Ministry of Health (MoH) and the Kurdistan Society of Emergency Medicine – Supreme Council (KSEM), as well as the Professional and Executive Education Centre, UKH.
Dr. Karwan Yasin Mohammed, senior fellow and specialist physician of Emergency Medicine and Nephrologism, is a visiting lecturer at the School of Medicine at the University of Kurdistan Hewlêr and Hewlêr Medical University. He has many years of experience as practitioner and lecturer. Dr. Karwan is internationally certified as ATLS, ACLS, BLS and ALS provider and instructor from the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP). He has been the Director of the Emergency Medicine Training Center at the Kurdistan Board for Medical Specialties since 2018 and holds FKBMS-EM and MRCEM memberships.