BA in English and Translation
The Bachelor of Arts Programme in English and Translation officially commenced in the Fall 2019. The main objective of offering a BA degree in English with a Minor in Translation is to prepare qualified translators and interpreters for the growing industry. As more media, NGO, and other cultural and political agencies require translation to access and make available content produced in the two main languages in Kurdistan, quality and professionalism in translation are deemed necessary. The translation industry in Kurdistan lacks from competent and academically-trained translators to supply the fast-growing demand. Moreover, as with an increase in the cross-cultural and linguistic contact in Kurdistan’s society today, interpreting is a highly sought after skill. Yet, only a few programmes in translation and interpreting are currently available in the academic institutions in Kurdistan. To fill this gap, the University of Kurdistan-Hewlêr is providing a degree in translation and interpreting to academically and professionally train proficient translators and interpreters for the job market. The Programme is designed to cover modules in English languages starting from lower language skill courses to more advanced and technical modules in translation and interpreting.
- High School Diploma: High school certificate, attained within the last five years and with a general high school score of 60% and above.
- English Language Proficiency: English Language Proficiency: Minimum English Language requirement is 40 in PTE – 5.0 in IELTS -55 in TOEFL iBT or 85 in Duolingo.
- School Entrance Test
- Scheduled Interview
- Equalized transcript is required for students who have graduated from international institutions.
- Conditional Offer may be given to applicants who submit the required minimum score from Versant English Placement Test - Pearson.
- Applicants dismissed for any reason from any university, school or college will not be considered.
- Application Form: Online application is required
- Official transcripts: Provide a copy of your official transcript (for applicants who graduated from international institutions, an equalized transcript is required).
- Certification Letter from High School: Provide an official letter from your High School Confirming your High School Average.
- A copy of your Passport/ID
- One passport size photo
The BA Programme in English with a Minor in Translation is a 4-year integrated programme which covers a wide range of areas within the scientific discipline of English, and translation. It is a comprehensive yet intense Programme covering these main areas: linguistics, literature, professional writing, and grammar, and translation and interpreting. In the final year of the Programme, students will take a practicum to learn on the job and apply their theoretical knowledge in the field.
Some modules offered in the programme include: Study Skills and Critical thinking, Cross-cultural Communication, Professional Writing, Journalistic Translation, Linguistics, Journalistic Translation, Consecutive and Simultaneous Interpretation, Machine Translation, Literary Translation, and Legal and Technical Translation.
- Promote understanding of interconnection between culture, language and literature.
- Facilitate the ability to apply theoretical perspectives to literary texts.
- Develop advanced skills in bringing up arguments, synthetizing and critically expressing opinions.
- Enhance advanced skills of research and presentation specific to English Literature or Teaching English Literature.
- Build scientific basis for further Doctorate research.
- Develop and assess the ideas of reading, re-reading and interpretation.
- Examine contemporary critical developments in literary studies.
- Set literary studies within an interdisciplinary contextual framework.
- Conduct specific research of particular literary periods, movements, locations and personalities.