School of Management and Economics
Economics and Finance
Department of Economics and Finance
- World-class teaching and research in the capital of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq.
- Internationally known faculty members.
- Diversified subjects teaching of economics and finance.
- Excellent student-staff ratio.
- A wide portfolio of modules on economics and finance.
- Faculties are specialists in emerging and technology based-developing economies, development economics, financial economics, international finance valuation, financial and managerial accounting, and major areas of financial decision making, and a wide spectrum of theory and policy debates.
- Theories and policy debates are professionally applied to real-world issues and contemporary economic thinking and analysis of policy issues in environmental economics and finance and banking.
- BSc in Economics and Finance.
- MSc in Economics.
- MSc in Finance and Banking
- An independent and critical ability to gather, organize and analyze relevant primary and secondary evidence or data, so as to present coherent and clearly reasoned arguments, which address specific economic problems.
- An ability to evaluate and engage effectively in key debates, economic policy and development as well as the evaluation of outcomes in the field.
Personal Transferable Skills
- An ability to communicate effectively and fluently in speech and writing, use communication and information technology for the retrieval and presentation of information, work independently, demonstrating initiative, self-organization and time management and collaborate with others to achieve common development goals.
The Head of Economics and Finance Department says:
The economics and finance studies investigate the causes and the consequences of scarcity of goods and services, that lead consumers (individuals, organizations, and governments) to make choices among competing objectives. Looking at these choices and how they impact the productivity needs of individuals with strong background in economics and finance.
Economists will investigate these choices and how they affect market prices, national output, inflation, unemployment, economics growth and allocations of resources.
The department of economics and finance through its offered programs (BSc in economics and finance, MSc in Economics, and MSc in Finance and Banking) exposes students to different areas of macroeconomics, microeconomics, consumer behavior, environmental economics, corporate and international finance, economic thought, advanced accounting for financial services, money and banking, financial market and institution, and the economics of government and public policy, and econometrics.
- To develop students’ knowledge and understanding of a coherent, current and intellectually stimulating body of economic theory and analysis.
- To encourage students to develop an independent, critical and scholarly approach to their field which will enable them to apply their knowledge and develop their understanding.
- To encourage students to relate academic study to questions of public concern in the field of public and private economics and finances.
- To provide a curriculum supported by active scholarship, staff development and a research culture that promotes breadth and depth of intellectual enquiry and debate.
- To help students to develop a valuable range of key skills and personal attributes for a wide variety of careers in economics and finance.
- To provide a friendly and supportive learning environment.
Knowledge and Understanding
- An understanding of the main concepts in the fields of economics and finance and their application to contemporary issues;
- An understanding of the emergence, nature and significance of economics as a distinct field of academic enquiry;
- An understanding of the state of economics and the variety of processes and institutions through which governance is exercised;
- An ability to evaluate different explanations of economic development and institutions.